Saturday, August 18, 2007

The Blog is Back







Working Fulltime For the last three weeks has been good. I try to accomplish one other task each day so I feel productive. Believe me my tasks may be tiny (mail a package) but I try to set myself up to succeed.
Howard has wanted a second kayak for a long time so he finally took the plunge and I'm reaping the benefits. We have kayaked 3 times on the DuPage River the last 2 weeks. I'm loving it and hoping to get myself into some sort of shape. We are so blessed to have a forest preserve next to our neigborhood and a place to get easily into the river. Last week we paddled upstream a long ways. It was work. Howard had to get out and pull my kayak through some current at one point when I tried multiple times and couldn't get past one patch. Going back downstream was the treat. That day we were on the river about 3.5 hours and I was really happy to have my 50 spf hat from REI.
Last evening after work (that sounds funny) we put in at the forest preserve and went downstream all the way to the Riverwalk in Naperville. That was soooooooooooo cool. I saw parts of this town from such a different perspective. We had to portage twice. I've learned a new word. That means we had to pull out, carry the kayaks past a damn or impassable spot on the river and then put back in. I carried my kayak up a steep hill and down the side of a damn. That was my most proud moment. We were the only people on the river. It is truly relaxing and peaceful.

2 comments:

Manda said...

GO MOM! That's so awesome!

Anonymous said...

Way to go Mom! You're a studette. It sounds like you and Howard are having a lot of fun kayaking. That's great. You're going to be in better shape than me! Love you!